Death and Taxes...which is more taxing?

They say 2 things in this life are inevitable...Death and Taxes. Since I am writing this...I'm not dead, but I believe I am being taxed to death. I live in Cook County, Illinois. For those of you who live here, I don't even have to begin to explain what I am talking about regarding taxes. For those of you not familiar with Cook County....they enjoy taxing people to the extreme. In my particular city, on top of the state and county charges...I get to pay a 10% sales tax. It is almost painful to type and even more difficult to say. TEN percent. (By the way, for those of you who are curious, you can look up your own tax rate.... http://www.zip2tax.com/z2t_lookup.asp?inputZip=60513 )

I have lived with this sales tax with little to no complaint until recently. The recent development is the village is now proposing a ENTERTAINMENT tax. Really? For this city? I'm finding very little to be entertained about in this city. Honestly, I just heard through the grapevine there is no biking or rollerblading through the park. We no longer have a fair that comes to town either. We are losing our entertainment and what little we have left they want to tax us on. They are looking to tax sporting events at the local high school. Again I say...really? I mean don't we already pay for the sporting events through our taxes? Now we have to tax people paying to go into an event paid by taxes? I'm sorry, but I think we have now crossed a line into tax hell.

Beverages, hotels and entertainment are all about to cost a lot more. I understand the village is in trouble. We are all broke. This economy has sucked the life out of almost everyone. The state of Illinois is now a worse credit risk than California. Now there was a bar I hoped we would never hurdle over...yet we did. Rumor has it we are the 9th worse credit risk in the world. It only makes sense the cities and villages are looking for a little relief, especially since the state isn't pay its bills. But, I'd like to inform the local governments something very important....its citizens are tapped out. We are broke.

I would like to propose something instead of taxing us to our graves....let's try loosening some regulations in town and start attracting businesses. Instead of trying to get blood out of us poor citizen-turnips, let's find some fresh blood for our government to feed off of.

Of course it will never happen. They only see the red numbers in the budget with no relief in sight and will continue on the path of taxing us some more. This does seem to be the trend...they really believe our pockets are bottomless. If we did to them what they do to us, we'd be in jail. The government isn't paying their bills and keep spending our money and demand more. On the street it is called being mugged....in government they call it "balancing the budget."

Go figure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take a moment...

Bruised but not broken....

Finding my Muse