Moving Truths

I have moved 21 times in my life. 

No, I'm not in the military or in the witness protection program. My first move happened when I was 18 months, so that is not my fault. The few moves during my teenage years were also not my doing. The rest...well I gotta admit those are on me. 

I also have helped people move over 10x in my life. A couple have just been my parents bringing me and my sister along to help friends move. The other times have been me helping other people move just because...well I have no idea. 

When I turned 50 I swore i would never move anyone ever again. Last year I helped my son move and in 2 weeks I will help my daughter move. Never make sweeping declarations in life, because the opposite always seems to happen. I really should have said, "after 50 I swear I will never be broke again" and see if the world would have taken me up on the challenge. 

After 30 moves, there are somethings I have learned.

1. The weather will be crap. The chances of the hottest/rainiest/coldest day will happen on the same day you will be moving is 100%.

2. If you reserved a truck, call them to make sure the truck exists. Reservations are easy to take, but actually having the truck on site is dicey. And the tighter the time frame you have to move is inversely proportional to them actually having the truck on site. 

3. Count how many people say they will show up...and reduce it by 30%. Promising to help someone move is a little like saying "I love you" right before sex. Sure...they meant it at the time, but that was so long ago...people move on. 

4. Toilet paper is the most forgotten thing of any move. You need it at the place you are leaving and you need it wherever you are going. Have a roll in your vehicle...you will thank me later. 

5. In the end, everyone runs out of boxes and resorts to garbage bags. Do NOT buy the cheap ones...those will tear the moment you pick them up.

6. Label your cords while you unplug them. Playing the, "what the hell is this cord" game sucks beyond the telling of it. 

7. You need a "go bag" that has all of your essentials like clothes and toiletries for the next day and keep it in your front seat. If not you will end up ripping thru boxes to find clothes to get your breakfast the next day or go out in your dirty moving clothes. This is not a good way to introduce yourself to the neighborhood. 

8. Just as mice are not motivated to do anything if they get the cheese at the beginning of the maze....keep that in mind if you are serving food and beer to your movers. 

9. Something will break or get lost. Just embrace it. 

10. The chances of a move running smoothly is like winning the lottery. It's not that it is impossible, but it generally happens to someone else.  

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take a moment...

Bruised but not broken....

Finding my Muse