Tethered to Technology

Nothing like new technology to make you add another plug to your collection. I have plugs for my computer, my phone, my Kindles...and none of them work with each other. Part of the fun of having wireless technology is that you are supposed to be able to go wherever  you want with whimsy and freedom, no longer being tied to an outlets. Just looking as cool as all of those people in the commercials, carefree and taking pictures in the middle of nowhere.

The reality is, I think everyone in those commercials are actually looking at their latest technology and thinking, "OMG....I only have 10% left...I need an outlet...STAT!"

Originally my phone held a charge for what I believed to be days and I felt as if the world was my oyster.  Then I started to download other things, like games and music. Had I known they were energy vampires for my phone I never would have gotten addicted to them. However, now the addiction has set in and I have no choice but to drain my battery daily.

I have plugs in my van and at my job. I have plugs in my living room and by my bedside. Here a plug, there a plug...everywhere a plug, plug. And I know I'm not the only one as I hear people around me asking to borrow plugs for phone and gadgets. Sometimes I believe we sound trying to make a drug deal go through. "Psst, buddy, got a plug for my thing-a-ma-bob? Just for a little while man...no, I'm good for it."

I admit to be the one who needs my phone with me everywhere I go. I have no idea why I need it as much as I do, or why I need to know every email I get right away. I'll be honest, I probably do not need know about the latest LL Bean sale, or what Groupon just hit the hotsheet, but there it is for me at my fingertips, and it makes me feel complete.

It's strange to think what we used to do before technology. That at one time we were inaccessible...unless there was a landline, there was no way to call anyone. Now it is strange to know anyone without a cellphone and with a landline.

Personally, I admit, I was probably freer before all my gidgets and gadgets. I wasn't obsessively looking for an outlet to plug in whatever happened to be dying at the time. I know some people that have gone for a weekend with no technology. No phone or computer or anything that plugs in. I have thought about doing that just once...but then again, I think the withdrawals might kill me.

As I type this I see an email from my kid's teacher....my obsession is justified. Woohoo!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take a moment...

Bruised but not broken....

Finding my Muse