Nobody puts Baby in the corner

Okay, don't deny it, you know exactly what movie that is from. And chances are you can't help but to smile when Patrick Swayze says it. That final dance scene....you're doing a little chair dancing when no one is looking. You have to do it when no one is looking because it is not acceptable to like that movie in public. It's one of those guilty movie pleasures.

Which brings me to my rant of the day....movie snobs and critics.

I'm not calling out only those critics that make a living of going to the movies for a living and nit picking afterwards. I mean hey, if I could get that gig, I'd do it, too. The hardest part of the day is sitting through a bad movie (Dune comes to mind....*shiver*). You go out with a pen and an attitude and you can make a name for yourself by not liking stuff and telling people to avoid the movie that has earned your distain. That's a career I can get behind.

I'm mostly referring to the non-paid critics. The ones who make you feel bad for liking a movie that might be hokey or silly or whatever. When you mention that you like one of the taboo movies, suddenly you get the lip curl and roll of the eyes, as if liking that movie means you should pack your bags and leave the planet.

It's a movie for criminy sakes! An escape....something to watch other than the mundane details of your own life. Personally, I have LOTS of guilty pleasure movies.....many from the 80s! The Sure Thing, Real Genius, Some Kind of Wonderful, Sixteen Candles, Weird Science, Breakfast Club, DIRTY DANCING, Overboard....these are just the ones off the top of my head.

These movies are not works of art. You will not learn anything from them. They are cheesy and silly and just plain fun. If I want to be preached at...I'll go to church. If I want a lesson on life, I'll read my Bible or a self help book. If I want a political message, I'll watch MSNBC, Fox, CNN or some other alphabet soup on the radio or TV. Or read a newspaper or magazine. Movies are not my place to go and learn anything.

Movies are supposed to be fun. I've heard people say that, "that would never happen" during a movie. For pity's sake, 99% of what happens in movies never happen. I'm fairly certain if my house gets hit by a tornado, I'm not going to end up in Oz, but in an insurance office. That's no fun to watch. I'd walk out of that movie. And If I DID end up in Oz it was because the gasline broke and I'm hallucinating and my next step is the hospital. I'm also fairly certain if there are gangs in New York called the Jets and Sharks that are rivals, they are not snazzy dressers and don't harmonize quite that well. They definitely don't have a dance coordinator to help them express their anger with jazz-snapping hands.

Even the movies that are based on a true story are based LOOSELY on that story. Amytiville Horror was supposed to have been based on a true story. I've seen both of the movies, and if that movie was an actual depiction of what happened, then people that stupid really should be terrorized by ghosts. Because when a house turns on its owners it is time to move or sell tickets.

Personally, I enjoy silly movies, and I don't always understand other people's taste in movies. Then again, I don't understand people's taste for anchovies on pizza either, but who am I to judge? I think it is time for those of us who take the heat from movies snobs to let them know....take your popcorn to another theater if you don't like the movie, but let us who want a silly movie to enjoy it in peace. We will not go back to the movie closet...if I want to watch Footloose for the unknownth time, then by golly, I am going to do it with a smile on my face and a song in my heart. Just because I know all the words to all the songs and most of the dance steps, it doesn't make me less of a person.

Pass the popcorn, I have a Mama Mia sing-a-long movie to watch. Don't judge...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take a moment...

Bruised but not broken....

Finding my Muse