Chicago Really is My Kind of Town

I was driving into Chicago last night. It was a nice clear night, no rain or snow and the skies were fairly clear. As I exited the Stevenson onto Lake Shore Drive, past McCormick Place and Soldier Field, I began to smile. Then when I turned onto Columbus, something occurred to me...I really love Chicago.

I know it is cliche. Most people love say their childhood towns or cities. It is where our family and friends are, it is where many of our memories were born. Our own respective cities are near and dear to our hearts for our own individual reasons. So my warm fuzzy feelings toward a city is nothing new.

Every time I drive down Columbus at night, with the parks to the right of me, and the city lay in the front and to the left of me, I actually say aloud (many times to no one), "Damn I love this place."

It doesn't mean I like the politics, and I don't ignore the areas of the city that are neglected. But something about this city makes me skin hum. It wasn't always like that. My upbringing was in the suburbs of Chicago. I didn't venture into the city unless someone else drove. I was born in Chicago, but my parents moved before I was 2 years old.

I guess what makes me love this city more is the idea I might have to move farther away from it. Because of certain life events, I have to find employment rather quickly. And that might mean finding something farther away, perhaps too far to drive into the city at will. This possibility makes me realize just how much I would miss being this close to Chicago.

The green lights were still on the Sears Tower (I refuse to call it anything else...back off) last night. The skyline was lit up as usual. The calmness of the night gave everything a warm glow. It was beautiful in my eyes. As I drove past the Art Institute, and then onto Michigan Avenue, I drove by a location where they were filming some show. And I smiled. Driving into River North, all of the hustle and bustle of the night life...I could feel the energy.

To be clear, I like living in the suburbs, where I can leave the noise of the city behind me. I like the smaller neighborhoods and the smaller town feel for my daily life.

But I also want the option of being close to Chicago. For all of its faults, for all of its unbelievable craziness...there is something about this city that just speaks to me.

I hope I find something around this city. I hope I don't have to leave it. While it would not miss me, heck it would not even know I was gone...I would definitely miss its energy.

Comments

  1. When my world changed all those years ago, I never thought I'd be happy anywhere but in rural CO. It was great I lived out in the country but could pop into Denver anytime I wanted. Like Chicago and you the vib of Denver had the same effect on me. I've lived in Texas over half my life I will never go back to live in CO. If I want the feel of a big city I can go to Dallas, Austin, Houston, and San Anton. Amarillo has all the big city things like the ballet, symphony and sports just on a smaller scale. I hope you can find a home with all that you wish for and even keep the babies. There is something to be said for change, just let G-d lead you where he wants you to be and all will work out. (((HUGS))) Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true too. Wherever the Good Lord leads me...I'll accept it. Sometimes those paths He puts out for us are just so unclear where they are going, it is a bit frightening. I'm still hoping wherever he leads me...it will be pretty close to this area. But, time will tell.

    Hugs to you, my kind and wonderful friend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Take a moment...

Bruised but not broken....

Finding my Muse