I'm in charge....no really...I am...

My cat and I have a disagreement.

He believes he owns every bit of the house because he sleeps everywhere...I believe the one who pays the bills rules the house.

It is a constant battle of control. Like right now, I am sitting on the couch, watching the news and paying bills. The moment I sit forward to drink from my water glass...he scoots in back of me and lies down, trying to own the space. I immediately move him next to me and scold him, telling him he knows better and why does he keep trying the same old things. This has been happening for 17 years.

In some ways, I can see his point of view. We sleep in our rooms, come out to get ready for our day and then we leave. He is here 24/7. In some ways, this house is his world and we are the invaders. We come and go and he vigilantly sits in here, guarding the citadel.

Okay, not so much guarding as much as sleeping, eating and pooping. But close enough.

He is a kept kitty...I go to work to keep up the lifestyle he has grown accustom to. I fear if we got a divorce, the judge would give him the house.

Today he kicked it up a notch, he walked on the back of the couch and kept grabbing my shirt with his claws. I actually had a long conversation with him. I keep telling him to knock it off and he keeps doing it, and yet I'm the one who gets frustrated.

Hey, this is new in our 17 year old routine. It's nice to know he's trying to keep our relationship fresh.

Currently, my son sat down only to have the cat walk over and lick his pants. It's good to have a distraction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take a moment...

Bruised but not broken....

Finding my Muse