The Games that People Play

Today is the NFC Championship game. Today the Chicago Bears and the Green Bay Packers play at Soldier Field, and they have not been in a NFC Championship game in 70 years. Coupled with their intense rivalry, this is going to be a heck of a game today.

I will make no apologies, I am a Bears fan. I was born in Chicago and raised in the suburbs, I almost had no choice but to be a Bears fan. When it comes to games against the Packers, if we win, I cheer a little extra hard too.

But here is the thing...I don't hate the Packers, nor do I hate their fans. It is a football game to me. A game where athletes compete. Nothing more, nothing less. And it is fun to yell at the TV when things go wrong, or cheer when things go right. If the other team wins, then they deserved to win. Clearly they outplayed my team. I don't feel anger towards a team for beating my team. It makes no sense to me when people do get angry either. They are people just like them, cheering for their team. Someone is going to win, someone is going to lose.

So today, I will cheer for the Bears. But if the Packers win, I won't hate them forever. Some of my favorite people are Packer fans. To hate the fans means to hate them, and they are worth more than a football game. There is too much hate in the world already, no need to have a game bring in more hate. It is, after all, a game. Something which should be fun and entertaining. Not something to elicit gut wrenching hate.

Go Bears!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take a moment...

Bruised but not broken....

Finding my Muse