Offensive or just business as usual?

When it comes to award shows, I usually am not part of their viewing audience. I have nothing against them, but I do find them a bit boring. Or so I did, until this year when Ricky Grevais hosted them. I woke the next morning, logged into my computer and there were intense reviews of his hosting duties that evening. Some people were applauding his roasting of the stars, others were appalled at his humor.

I think the extreme emotional reactions to his performance at the 2011 Golden Globes is a little overblown. Both the attendees of the Golden Globes and Grevais knew what they were getting into...and yet both seem surprised at the results. Surely someone must have known Grevais was not going to put his style of humor on hold for an award events.

My best way to explain it is this...

If I have a dog which intensely dislikes cats and will attack them at will...I am not bringing him to a cat show. Nor would they invite me to bring my dog there. If for some crazy reason they decided to invite me, and I was just a crazy to accept, then no one should be surprised at the carnage that would ensure.

Now, Grevais just bruised egos, and didn't actually get embroiled in a bloodbath. But the concept is not far off. The Powers That Be at the Golden Globes decided to invite a man to an award shows that makes a living from not being politically correct. They decided to throw him in the mix of a group of people who have more than a few televised skeletons in their closets...and they let him have full reign on them.

The people who attended the Golden Globes and were offended at Grevais should not be mad at him, they should direct their ire at those that put him on stage with a microphone.

As for Grevais...he wanted to be outrageous. He succeeded at being outrageous. Well done. Being outrageous has consequences though because the people which were the focus of his jokes could become a bit peeved. It is the cross he bears with his style of comedy. He is right in not backing down from his jokes because he meant them. Alas, he should also recognize that he crossed lines, as he often does. While it is his right to do so, it is also people's right to think he is a bit of an ass for doing it at an awards show.

The question is will this affect Grevais and his career in Hollywood? If I was a betting woman, I'd have to say no, or at least any affects will be short term. Hollywood has much bigger scandals in it than a single comedian lambasting stars at an awards show. It might leave a bad taste in their mouths, but if they believe they can make money off of the man, all will be forgiven and forgotten.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take a moment...

Bruised but not broken....

Finding my Muse